The Jonas Project Mentors
The Jonas Project provides Veterans with mentor support for the first two years of their new business venture. TJP mentors are business owners and experts with a desire to help VOBs navigate the challenges and opportunities of starting a new business.
Mentors are an integral part of TJP’s support team for VOBs, working closely for a minimum of two years. TJP mentors will be vetted carefully to make sure that our Veterans have the very best mentors. Are you interested in becoming a TJP mentor? Read the job description below. If this sounds like a good fit for you, please fill out the application and someone from TJP will contact you shortly.
The Mentor is responsible for giving well-intentioned business counsel to the Veteran/Veteran Owned Business (VOB), which will lead to the operational success of the new business.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet with the Veteran/VOB a minimum of 5 hours per month. The meetings can be through video conferencing, face-to-face, phone or any other means of communication that works for both the Veteran/VOB and Mentor.
- Attend orientation meetings with The Jonas Project.
- Submit feedback reports to TJP concerning the Veteran/VOB in a timely manner.
- Introduce the Veteran/VOB to various civic groups in the community, if you are both from the same community.
- Provide counsel to the Veteran/VOB in the Mentor’s field of expertise.
- Assist in recruiting other Mentors.
- Approve any purchase for the Veteran/VOB that exceeds $500. Three bids must exist.
- Coordinate with the Veteran/VOB support team to ensure Veteran receives additional Mentor expertise as needed.
- Collaborate with other Mentors and TJP to share ideas and success stories.
- Work with Capacity Builder for assignments and problem solving with regard to Veteran/VOB.
- Maintain complete confidentiality between Mentor, Veteran, and TJP.
- Must be willing to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours each month.
- Must have proven knowledge in one or several of the following fields:
- Real Estate
- Human Resources
- Business Operations
- Industry Specific Knowledge Depending on VOB
- Works well under pressure.
- Must be willing to complete feedback reports in a timely manner.
- Prefer that a mentor is a U.S. Veteran, BUT NOT required.
- Possesses necessary patience and ability to teach.
- Must have either owned a business or been an executive with a successful business for a minimum of 3 years.