We know it’s been a while since we last posted an update blog! The Jonas Project team is small but MIGHTY. But even the mighty get busy and run out of time to write blogs. So much has happened over the summer and now we want to catch you up. Not everything is a victory, but even in defeat we find opportunity to grow, learn and get better. Let’s recap:
Here’s the awesome stuff:
- Our mentors continue to amaze us. We absolutely love these men and women. It seems they are working overtime for our VOBs and never stop coming up with new and innovative ways to help us scale and improve.
• Several of our VOBs have begun paying back their debts to The Jonas Project. This is great because that means we’ll have capital available to the next VOB who joins us.
• Our VOBs are so incredible! These men and women are working their tails off to be successful! They are the very definition of entrepreneur: creative, innovative, flexible, hard-working, relentless, enthusiastic and dedicated. They are so inspiring.
• We have a BIG announcement coming up in November for an award that we’ve won – we can’t tell you just yet….but stay tuned!
• Donations are increasing (hint: this is where you get your phone out and text JONAS to 41444). Oh yeah, and we implemented a mobile donation platform!
• Our website won yet another award. We did a big update at the beginning of the year and it seems to be paying off.
• We’ve identified several new funding sources for our VOB’s – we love money!
• We have an official relationship with CAMEO in Southern California which will not only provide more resources for our VOBs, but places us in a position to affect meaningful change for VOBs in the state.
• Can you believe we are about to celebrate our third anniversary!
• One of the greatest things we’ve done was saved a VOB from making a horrible, costly mistake in intellectual property ownership. These are the kinds of things that sink businesses. And because we are dedicated to improving the odds of success in a very difficult environment, we consider this a HUGE win!
• On a similar note, we have one VOB who has complete eight contracts since launch. EIGHT!!!!! That is success!
• We’ve been working for a long time on an application to become a Micro-Loan Intermediary, and we finally got it turned in! Fingers crossed.
• Because we love using our partner resources, we’ve referred two-dozen VOB’s to SBDC’s to start their business plans.
• Our Capacity Builder, David, is totally rocking his position!!! So much so, that he’ll soon be promoted. Now we have to find someone who can back-fill his position and continue rocking that role.
Here’s the stuff that isn’t as awesome:
- We need more female Veteran entrepreneurs. WHERE ARE YOU!?!? Ladies, don’t be shy. Take your life by the b…horns, be bold, and come talk to us about creating your own destiny.
• We are still in need of a Treasure Hunter – someone to help us get more money! Do you know someone who’s passionate, outgoing and isn’t afraid to ask for money?
• We had a few VOBs who have decided to go in a different direction. Which isn’t all bad! Most of them decided that their business plan wasn’t viable, or have taken amazing jobs that will allow them to grow professionally and learn new skills so they can be better prepared when they do decide to launch their own business. This is the reality of entrepreneurship.
• One thing we find as we work with our VOBs every day is that some just aren’t ready to hear what we have to say. It’s hard to hear someone pick apart the idea you’ve been working on for so long. Sometimes the emotional connection to the idea clouds the ability to see reality and they just aren’t ready for the tough love.
We are working harder than ever and have so many incredible opportunities on the horizon. We’ll be sure to update you soon on our latest developments, because they are going to start coming fast and furious for the rest of the year.
Here’s to an incredible fourth quarter!